Thursday, March 22, 2012

I didn't know

I didn't know a lot of things when I said "yes," Hornbuckle.

I didn't even know when I said "I do" exactly four years ago today.

I didn't know that you would fold all the towels, because you do it better than I do (and you have The Crazy.)

I didn't know that I would be the one catching the snakes for you. (And you probably didn't know just how many geckos you'd have to catch for me.)

I didn't know what kind of power I would be handing you, to take care of me, to protect me, and even to hurt me sometimes.

I didn't know that you would somehow end up calling me "Cheetles" all the time.

I didn't know for sure that you would get everything you had ever dreamed of. That you would have 300+ of your own students who call you "Master Hornbuckle," and how exhilarating watching all of that unfold for you would be.

I didn't know how much my leaving towels on the counter after cleaning the kitchen would bother you. I didn't know how much your leaving your closet door open all the time would bother me.

I didn't know how much you would need me.

I didn't know how much I would need you.

I didn't know how often I would be sitting at our school on Sunday afternoons and weeknights at 8 p.m. after having worked at my own job all day.

I didn't know how little I would be dealing with our finances because you just, take care of all of it. All the time.

I didn't know how much we would laugh. Or how many pieces of cake we would eat together at Bonnie Ruth's. Or how good it would feel to stay cuddled up in a warm bed with you and Maggie for "just five more minutes" in the morning.

I didn't know how beautifully orchestrated our story would be.

And the best part is, I don't know what the rest of our years will look like, either.



It's good to be learning all that with you.
blog comments powered by Disqus