Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A cheery Independence Day post about sin and homosexuality

I have friends who keep me in line when I'm not doing what I should be. Friends who call me on my crap and don't allow me to choose sin without speaking up, without being hard on me.

I appreciate friends like that. I'm visiting a friend like that now, actually.

Christians need other Christians to point out sin. No doubt about that.

However, there's a big difference between calling out sin in someone you have a close relationship with, and calling out sin in a stranger.

Maybe because it's Independence Day and I'm oh-so-patriotic (see also: my toes are painted red, white and blue), I have been thinking about just how nasty we are to each other here in the good old U.S. of A. I wonder whether, when the founding fathers set up this democratic system of ours, they envisioned just about every single political discussion escalating into vile, hateful "shouting matches" on Facebook or in the comment sections of blogs. I wonder if they envisioned our options coming down to two choices - one extreme or the other, in which discussions and attempts at gaining understanding from one another are utterly futile. I wonder if they envisioned the idea of freedom of religion being ignored when it wasn't convenient for one group or another.

I wonder if they envisioned people accusing others of sin (religion) as a means to keep them in their place (in government).

(Speck, meet log.)

From a Christian perspective, wait, no, I'm sorry, a Biblical perspective (there seems to be a difference), there is so much wrong with this attitude. And yet "Christians" are the ones charging after groups who behave outside their belief systems in an effort to keep them down.

Does the Bible say that performing homosexual acts is a sin? Absolutely. Then again, so is premarital sex, gluttony, stealing (that includes music, guys), not submitting to your husband, idol worship (iPhone, anyone?), lying, having a tattoo, coveting... Do I need to go on?

What we seem to forget here is that is that it's not always our place to point out sin. Just because I am that person for somebody does not mean I am that person for everybody. Know what IS always our place? Serving and loving others, regardless of their beliefs, lifestyles, or choices.

That sounds a lot like some guy I know... Oh yeah, Jesus. Didn't he spend a lot more time with sinners than he did with legalistic Pharisees? And, uh, didn't he have kind of a big problem with said legalism?

When it comes down to it, I am confident that one sin is not worse than another. We're all sinners. Fall short of the glory of God. You know the drill.

So the next time we are fighting over our supposed American "rights," let's remember that we don't deserve the right to anything. That is a distinctly American idea and honestly it's made us entitled, spoiled, dissatisfied, tantrum-throwing children.

What we deserve is death. Separation from our Father because we haven't earned a thing.

We don't have a right to anything we're given.

And that includes the right to judge the things that God is in charge of.

-----

I chose not to discuss my ideal solution to the "gay marriage problem," because Andrew March explains it perfectly here, if you're interested.. As you've probably gathered, government mixed with religion just doesn't float my boat.
blog comments powered by Disqus